Monday, June 16, 2008

Castles and the forest

Lately, I've been hearing criticism from Dear Local Ex-Pats about the 'hideous' new buildings - apartments, schools - which are being built alongside the older Swiss houses in the area.

It may be something to do with being on a continent which has a long architectural history that the emergence of these new buildings might appear so blatantly insensitive to their historical surrounds.

I personally like to lean casually on nearby buildings and make mental notes about the joys of... well, leaning casually on buildings which were built in the 15th Century, so I can understand those who feel the need to preserve the uniqueness of the past.

However, I admit to being kind of attracted to the non-apologetic approach when it comes to building one's home and castle. The modern buildings appear highly functional and original in design and, in my humble opinion, while some buildings may seem a little out of place, most often the contrast between the old and the new serves to highlight both: whichever way your taste goes, I'll bet you stop to notice.

Alright, I've had my rant. Obtusely, what I'm warming up to talking about is a place where there aren't any architectural complaints - the forest.


Twice in the past week I've found myself lucky enough to be a-wandering through a quiet forest. The first instance was on a mild and rainy day at our very own local forest (or 'My Wald', as DS - who is a monthly visitor with the Kindy class - likes to claim). The waterfall had been frozen the last time I passed that way, but this time I was happy to see clear water and the promise of summer swims.

The second forest venture was with the whole family after another splendid lunch (home-made bread, home-made pasta, tuna, rocket, lemon, garlic, capers... lots of drooling from the Hausfrau) with our Dear Aussie ICE and SPICE, after which we headed out into the scorching afternoon to trek from Adliswil across the ridge down to Rüschlikon.

The fabulous thing about these Euro forests is how easy it is to imagine a gingerbread house, or a loitering wolf, or a random elf or fairy. Perhaps I'm comparing this to good old Snugglepot and Cuddlepie and evil Mrs Snake and the Banksia men wilting in the midday heat, but the imagination can work overtime as you wander deep into the forests around these parts.

Nothing else to say on forests, but - speaking of fairy tales - the theme at DS's Kindy at the moment is castles. We await with eager anticipation the Kindergarten Theater, which will feature DS as the König (king) and his Dear Little Kiwi Pal as the Königin (queen) (you know: the one who when she comes over has been known to say, 'Gosh your house is messy').

Mainly I can't wait to see DS with his special hobby horse. We made this horse at the Horse-Making Convention at the Kindergarten a few weeks ago, and I must say DS's horse is spectacularly un-horse-like, with its Father-Christmas wispy mane, huge blue button-eyes and long yellow leather ears. But the best bit is witnessing pure, unfettered joy on the face of DS as he neighs and gallops his horse and its massive jingle-bell-bridle around his castle and his forest - our apartment and surrounding gardens.

No comments: