Monday, June 30, 2008

Some serious yodeling


Question: Did the Hausfrau go to the Yodeling festival in Luzern?

Answer: Is the Hausfrau a Slave to the Rhythm?

Of course she did!

Every three years this festival is held and, having listened my fair share of bluegrass and yodeling Americana I figured it was about time I heard the real thing. (Pics above are of flag-throwing, by the way, another traditional 'sport'.)

Naturally, the excursion was coloured somewhat by the moaning and squabbling of two offspring who were less than enthused to be trucked in on a boiling hot summer's day to hear... yodeling. DH at least disguised his underwhelmedness behind sunglasses and the map.

However, there was a breeze coming in across Lake Luzern and - once we had found a position to watch the parade - the running of the cows (and their, ahem, urine) turned sour faces into grins, and we were in for a treat, including... oh yes! Alphorns!


Even the local music shop appeared to sell these amazing instruments. My question is: How on planet earth were these things invented? They are easily three metres long. Though I guess if you live atop of a three kilometre high mountain you wouldn't be so concerned about space restrictions.

The thing that surprised me about Alphorns and the yodelling was how gentle and harmonious it was. Perhaps this was due to the fact that the yodelling we heard was all choral rather than solo. I will have to search out some solo yodelling action before we leave this amazing country, just to hear the difference.

I do know that traditional style folk music is taken fairly seriously here. I recall, on our arrival, mirthfully discovering a television station which played folk music in earnest. By that I mean hours of 2-shot camera work in one tiny, traditional-style room with a small and serious group of singers and instrumentalists in traditional costume. I suppose they were enjoying themselves, but it did look a little like an endurance test for some.

I sense this is a good place to wind up with a couple of pics of the Aussie yodeling contingent in Luzern, who threw little koalas into the crowd - one caught by DD, who was most chuffed.

I will also add that the Hausfrau has been invited to sing again with the Project Choir: this time Bach Cantata 169.

Yodel-ay-hee-hee!

No comments: