Monday, September 17, 2007

Country Lady or City Dame?

Yesterday was the first day of work for DH at Infotech Central, and therefore the first day of work for me as a real Hausfrau.

So we cleaned the house (a bit) and did the shopping, chopped the top off my finger, visited the Apotheke for bandages, snorted a lot because DS and I have colds, and saw two more apartments, neither of which was suitable.

I was able to watch the sun set over Zürich city from the 4th floor of the city apartment I saw last night. It was breathtaking, just behind the national museum, very central.

Of course I immediately thought, 'Wow, yes! This is the one! I would be able to swan around museums and galleries, climb spires, and learn how to drink non-decaffeinated coffee!'

But then reality slowly took over as I thought about how DS would get to kindy and DD to school. The road was insanely busy on both sides, and it was unbelievably noisy. The noise we would learn to tolerate, but even though littlies wear reflectors and are given a road-crossing tutorial by the local police, I couldn't see DS trundling to kindy safely, since he's only 5 and somewhat impulsive... No parks nearby and certainly no other children in the apartment block.

So it's off to the burbs, I think. Soon we will hear about one other apartment we applied for, which is close to schools, swimming centre (next door) and supermarket. Vive la Hausfrau Dream. (Hmm. That's about the most global, Euro statement I've made so far!)

No comments: